1/4 Cup of each of the following:
- Wheat Germ
- Rolled Oats
- Finely grated carrot
- Shredded Coconut*
- Crushed pecans*
*I chopped up the raisins, pecans, coconut further in a small food processor to make them smaller to be sure there was no choking hazard.I combined the above with 1 Tbsp. of Honey and 3 Tbsp. of Natural Peanut Butter, mixed well and rolled into small balls. I then tossed them in a small bowl with about 3 tbsp each - Baking Cocoa & Powdered Sugar. This made approx. 25 small balls. I store them in the fridge in a ziplock bag.
Some Possible Variations?:
- Leave off the cocoa/powdered sugar coating.
- Roll in Coconut or nuts or graham cracker crumbs
- For Nut allergies: Omit nuts & peanut butter. Can use Soy nut butter.
- Substitute Sunflower seeds for nuts
- Replace raisins with soft dried berries or fruit bits
- Add cinnnamon
I think these snack balls would be great to take along on a day trip such as to the zoo or park but I think you might want to keep them in a cooler or insulated lunch tote to keep them from getting gooey.
Result--my 20 month old toddler loved them - he ate two with a cup of milk and was satisfied for hours.