Just some random thoughts today, as I sit and watch my little boy play. He is almost 2 years old but sometimes when I see the look of wonder and determination on his little face, I get a glimpse of the young man he will some day become. My eyes mist over, my heart swells and I think of all the things I want him to experience, all the things I want for him in life.
So for Thursday Thirteen---
I came up with
13 Things I Want For You, My Son
- To know the unconditional bond of true friendship.
- To experience the angst and joy of first love and the pain of first heartbreak.
- To feel really small when you appreciate the enormity of the ocean, the Grand Canyon and our world. Marvel at God's creations and praise Him.
- To learn the sting of humility when you fail or make a mistake - but never give up, always give it your best shot.
- To be honest, be compassionate and giving, even when no one notices.
- To be kind, polite and loving. Be gentle and respectful with others, especially women, your elders and animals.
- To not be afraid to take risks, to try new things, to travel to unfamiliar places.
- To stand up for what you believe in. Even if sometimes it means you stand alone.
- To appreciate that you are different. You are God's unique, amazing, beautiful work of art. Embrace your individuality. Appreciate and tolerate this in others, too.
- To set goals and work hard for them. But take time to rest and play and to savor the little things in life and precious time with loved ones.
- To find your soulmate and share all of life's adventures with them.
- To learn about your history, your culture and to visit your country of birth*. To know that you were and are so wanted and so loved and we are a forever family.
- To know the joy, pain, pride, fears and ultimate love of being a parent. To hold an infant in your arms and know instantly that you would give your life to protect this tiny creature.
*Our orecious son was adopted at 10 months old from S. Korea.